Sunday, February 21, 2010

A traditional Swedish dessert in LA and more...

It was so amazing to get a taste of Sweden right here in Los Angeles. Its called semla. Some of you may know one of the many inspirations to my blog is my friend Ingrid in Sweden. Last week she posted a blog about this most fabulous Swedish dessert - Semla. She makes everything sound so good I had to try it myself. She so eloquently describe this delectable treat so I will let her tell it.

"Originally, semla was a plain bread bun eaten in a bowl of milk, as as a last festive food to enjoy before Lent. Today, however, it makes its first appearance just after Christmas and lasts until Easter. It is a cardamon-spiced wheat bun, its center scooped out and filled with heavenly almond paste, then topped with real whipped cream. The 'lid' is the top of the bun sprinkled with powder sugar."


That is exactly what I got when I went to Berolina's in Glendale. It felt as though I was transported to a European bakery. There were even two woman behind us speaking french. I noticed they ordered semla as well.




semlor (plural for semla) :)









The pastries were awesome. They had fresh bread and tons of cookies and desserts






One of my best friends, Chrystee, went with me it was a nice outing. Jordan opted to sleep in
and surprisingly he didn't want me to bring him anything back. Chrystee ordered a fruit tart.






I proceeded to eat this pastry just the way Ingrid described in her blog. First of all when I order the semla the lady brought it to me on a plate and I told her I wanted it with the warm milk. She seemed surprised but put it in a bowl and brought me steamed milk. The almond filling was a bit strong yet delectable. However once I poured the warm milk in the bowl all the flavors combined to form the perfect balance.
Um Um Um. The most exciting part was the adventure. Here's one for you Ingrid. :)

This day was interesting; JD and I were on our separate paths. He had a school dance and I had another close friend of mine invite me to a girls night out. I think since we are well into our 30's or I should say since I am the evening consisted of dinner at Aunt Kizzy's in Marina Del Rey. Um um. dinner was great. - Amazing food, great company and amazing conversation. Lets just say I will be working out everyday this week. :)






However, that evening, JD and I ended up watching "A Cabin in the Sky" starring Ethel Waters, Lena Horne, Louise Armstrong and many more thespians. I love watching movies with him. He has all the movie trivia that makes the movie ten times more interesting. We loved it. We couldn't stop laughing at the guys who were supposed to be from hell. Their horns were made out of their Afros.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I can't believe you found Semla!! I am so excited! Lol. Good job, too, asking to put it in warm milk. That is the REAL way it's done. You taught the woman working there a good lesson! I hope you liked it! It is my absolute fave. I miss you!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete