Monday, February 15, 2010

Alone but not Lonely...The best Valentines Day EVER!!

So this is how I topped off my evening. I figured I would start with the end; kind of like eating dessert first. I realized how I jacked up my video by singing so loud, but I was having a good old time. I'll remember for future recordings, not to talk or sing right into the recorder.

This Valentines day was truly an adventure. If I had to sum it in one phrase it would be "Alone but not lonely". My son was in Berkeley at a debate tournament and my roommate was in Dallas soaking up the all star festivities. As of Friday I was Home Alone. Being alone never felt so good in my life. I have to admit in the future I would have been restless and anxious about this, but it was needed. It just so happens it was Valentine's Day or as my son reminded me when I texted him Valentine's wishes... his response "Happy Singles Awareness Day" cute.

The video you watched was an amazing concert. We were rocking the house. Yes I danced til I sweat but this time it was up in church. Thursday I was driving to working listening to my daily shot in the arm either FISH 99.5 or Focus on the Family 95.9. They announced a concert a "Love concert" with Isreal Houghton and New Breed. They are a very cutting edge gospel group. I don't even know if they fit into the traditional gospel genre. They are off the chain. I got to work that day and ordered myself a ticket. I just knew I was going. I had no idea with who or if anyone at all. Frankly I wasn't that concerned about that. It was very impulsive move and I loved every minute of it. The concert was at Abundant Living Family Church. If anyone lives near Rancho Cucamonga that's about 15 min from Ontario I say visit (alfconline.com). If I lived closer I know I would. Surprisingly an old friend of my was a guest performer. She was off the chain as well. I know I am using that phrase way too much,but I am soooo excited I can barely contain myself. Her name is Maura Gayle and she has inspirational story and a half. You have to check her out. She did spoken word and had the crowd rockin'. My girl is profound.So my day started with church and ended with church on steroids. Awesome!

In the morning I went to the 10:30 because I stayed up half the night catching up on some shows with "on demand"; like Good Wife, Mercy, and CSI New York. I think I watched about three episodes each. Boy was I tired. I am so mad at how Mercy ended. It was a cliff hanger and with my busy schedule who knows when I'll watch it again. I love my church. Pastor Phillip Wagner delivered a great message about real life super heroes. You can probably look at it on line www.oasisla.org. Gets you thinking about your greatness. After church I saw my friends; the twins (Amy and Becky). They asked me if I wanted to grab lunch and I impulsively said yes. Oh my, oh my, Pizza and Champagne at the Oak Fire Pizzeria(previously Stone Fire) on La Cienega. Amazing. I just love the combination. Kind of like mixing lace with combat boots. Pizza and bottomless Mimosas um um. I'm a contrast kind of girl. They have some of the best pizza. We order the Margarita, a bacon and pineapple. This is not like any bacon and pineapple you have ever tried. I mean it. Amazing and then we had a sausage one. I can't remember the name of it. Funny that was the one I ordered. It was good. On the way home for a quick nap before the concert I stopped at the MAC store and got some goodies.

I am so invigorated by this weekend. Going to a concert by myself was absolutely amazing. I know I have matured in a sense. Being comfortable in your own skin is definitely a requirement for such an adventure.

I initially thought Jordan would have been with me, but before I purchased the ticket I realized he would be at a debate tournament.

He didn't qualify for finals this year he was very disappointed about that. Its his last year. He said its the end, and the two previous years he brought home trophies in Drama, but this year his coach decided he was doing Humor for his individual event, which is a bit disappointing. Everyone is asking him why he isn't doing Drama. Its kind of like you are a sprinter in track and breaking records and then your coach decides to put you in hurdles. He called me after his events and we talked on the phone for a little while. He was having an internal fight with himself. Disappointed with not qualifying and being happy for his teammate who qualified in an event he should be in. I tried to give motherly yet understanding advice. I told him "Honey this is only the beginning. God has a plan for you. And in every situations there is a lesson. Right now lets just pray for peace so you can be supportive to your team mate. You may not need to do a high five and chest bump, but being supportive is who you are to the core. Remember it was just a couple of years ago you were the only one to qualify to go to state and your team mates had to go and support you knowing they weren't competing." He said he was going to find a quite place to chill out for a minute. We prayed and a brotha seemed okay. About an hour later he was texting me about the best batch of Kombucha he ever had. You see we drink this health drink that isn't so tasty and its made in small batches so most of the time the bottles taste a little different. Some a little sweeter or too much fizz or not enough fizz, but according to him today he had the best batch ever.

I just got a taste of what the years to come will be like for us. I will be having adventures and self discoveries and he will be doing the same. We will just being doing it miles apart. I often wish I could let his mind fast forward to life in 10 years. Then he would know some things are more important then others and there are so many more adventures life will take us through. They key is to not resist and just roll with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment