Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Have you ever HEARD your eyes blink?


I’m having flash backs this morning as I drive Jordan to school. He’s had his license about 8 months now. I haven’t driven him this route in a while. I forgot how moody he is in the morning. Well not moody, it’s just his usual morning silence. He didn’t have an attitude or anything. We drove in silence I’m not sure why I turn the radio off, but it is so quite “I can hear my eyes blinking.” He responds in true teenage fashion “that’s weird.” We just sit and I continue to listen to my eyes blink. Maybe I’m dehydrated? “Seriously you gotta hear this, listen.” I’m generally goofy in the morning so I’m sure I’m getting on his nerves a little. “That’s real bizarre,” he says and doesn’t attempt to lean over an listen.

Well the other night they got home really late from his debate tournament in Berkeley, and since he has 4 months until his driving curfew is over I had to pick him up. Instead of just dropping him off I decided to go in and say hi to all the teachers and advisors I used to talk to all the time. The first person to greet us is his 9th grade marine biology teacher, now school principal and he says “Congratulations…” Utter confusion is written all over my face. He says, “…for Jordan placing in the tournament…” Now for all of you who read my last blog I was under the impression he did not go beyond semi finals. He and I had a long talk about his disappointment and all. “…He placed 8th, right Jordan. Didn’t you get a plaque?” My son, my son, in rare Jordan form flashes those pearly whites and says “yeah” as he shuffles off to put his books down. My mouth is hanging wide open.

That boy! He didn’t make it to the finals like we had talked about, but he came in 8th in a National tournament. That’s big time! He placed 8th out of probably 300 kids or so. I think that’s Pretty Darn Good! I will upload a photo of this phantom plaque soon.


1 comment:

  1. You are truly a NUT!!! I was waitin' for the catch/ punch line in your creative writing... only to realize that you were dead serious! Hear yo’ eyes blinking... WHAT THE…! That is too funny! Up to this VERY moment -as I am writing - I don't, didn't think I ever hear no mess like that until I just thought about it. I think I've heard it too... hahaha... Go ta' bed and drink some water weirdo!

    ReplyDelete