Thursday, January 21, 2010

Here we go!!


A few months ago my friend and her husband moved to Sweden. She started a blog to keep all of her family and friends posted on what is going on with her life. Lets just say I became addicted with her blog. As I continued to read of her adventures it felt like I was in Stockholm myself. Somewhere between stories of "deliscious Glogg" and the "Kaffe Koppen in Gamla Stan" I decided I would start my own blog. I found that in the wake of my son going to college I should not be a stranger to my friends and family. Actually it's all about him right now. College apps, auditions, finals - you name it. So my goal is to document all of our discoveries over these next few months.

My life has turned into this grand adventure. Anticipating the future while enjoying the moment; Filled with every emotion under the sun. Speaking of sun/son. I feel like I am re-birthing, if that's even a word. I brought in the new year knowing I have 9 months. Anyone who has experienced childbirth or any exciting event for that matter, would understand the anticipated excitement associated with birth. You nest and prepare and nurture and indulge in the unknown. Will they have all of their fingers and toes? Will they be healthy? Will you make all the right choices? How will you know what to do?

My son is graduating this year and I have 9 months to pour into him every thought, lesson, life skill, and apology for bad parenting choices I can imagine. Actually its more like 7 months now. In 7 months he will be off to college on the other side of the country, and I will be...well I don't know where I'll be. I will be "here", I guess. In my own skin with every daydream and wonder of the world at my finger tips. That's the beauty of this all. I am excited. As I listened to empty nesters, twice my age, describe their angst of finding their purpose; I am confused because I don't' have any anticipated angst, per Se.

I am full of excitement for my son, for myself. He will branch out and soar out of the nest, and me?...I will do the same. Considering I started motherhood at a young age. This will be my chance to grow up and smell the roses. Although, I wonder when he's off at college with anything he wants at his finger tips, will he keep all those fingers and toes he was born with? Will he stay healthy? Will he make all the best decisions for himself? Will he know what to do? I pray and will continue to pray he does.

This blog will be a way for me to document his final days in the nest with his "mother" and my journey of self-discovery. Also, I am hoping my friends and family find the same closeness with me that I found in reading my friend's blog. Feel free to share this blog with anyone on such a journey, especially single mothers who are going through, will be going through or have already gone through such an adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent blog and choice of topic! I was anticipating the screenplay and/or book but now I don’t have to wait! As a father, I can relate to the joys of parenting and the journey that you're experiencing. You are a blessing from GOD; a gift to this world. I don’t think enough people know your stories - your struggles, your giving nature and ultimately your success! I am proud of you and Jordan… Keep the good readin’ comin’ sis’!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did it. he did it. amazing. I can not wait until it is my turn ( lol)

    ReplyDelete