Monday, January 25, 2010

Being in the hospital wasn't ALL bad

(Still not 100% so forgive any ramblings or typos)

I never thought I would be saying this, but being sick and admitted into the ER was all worth it. yesterday I got a stomach virus of sorts and had a delightful evening in the ER hooked up to an IV, poked and prodded. Every test known to man was run on me to make sure all I had was Gastroenteritis, also known as " a stomach virus."

Thanks to my best friend/roommate who was my no cost ambulance ( I was really bad), sister and "kidney twin" who met us there, and my sister for staying there all night with me. I was discharged around noon feeling 20 times better than the night before,with only about 50% of my normal energy level. But I still decide to walk to meet my sister two buildings over. This is when being sick becomes worth it.

I walk slowly, dragging my feet, and with a slight hunch from the discomfort in my abdomen. I don't really look at people because I am totally "busted". My face is dry, I have no idea if I have crust around my mouth and I am sure I have bad breath from "the events" that occurred the night before. (stomach flu events:). As I enter the medical building where she was having a routine appointment. I headed to the elevator. There are a row of chairs just before you enter the elevator. I got a glimpse of a distinguished gentleman from behind. I have no idea what compelled me to back track, considering the state I was in. With no hesitation or thought I acted like I was getting a brochure off the table in front of him. I then stopped dead in my tracks "Oh my gosh", My voice was low to be discrete but mostly because I was still not feeling well enough to shout.

The gentleman looks up and smiles a very distinguished gentlemanly smile. "I never thought in my entire life time I would ever get to meet you." The words just came out. He stands up, like a gentleman and says through is smile, "the pleasure is all mine." I proceed to tell him "you made my day" and he says "well you made my day." The next thing that comes out of my mouth is "How are you." He says "Great, and by the sparkle in your eyes and that smile, I know you are great too." Of course I don't tell him I was just released from the ER and the adrenaline of meeting him is the only thing holding me up at this point. We talk about how my son and roommate will not believe this. A few months back Jordan and I had sat up one Saturday and watch about four of his movies in a row. Jordan now walks around quoting and reenacting scenes from them. He seems surprised my son would know about him and asks" How old is your son?" We continue to talk about Jordan's college choices and his auditions in two weeks. This conversation takes place while he holds my hand and pierces my soul with his eyes. "Okay so I'm going to do something really groupie-ish now" He says "What's that?" "Would you mind taking a picture with me, with my cell phone?" He smiles "Of course." I take the picture, he says "let me see?...Oh we need better light. Lets go outside" at this point a driver approaches and he says "Just a minute we are going to take a picture" I take two more pictures (per his instruction), but cutting off his head both times. Finally he leans down "I'll get to your level." and walla....








Sidney Poitier, a distinguished gentleman


4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're feelin' better sis! That's a good photo of you and Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAAAAAAAMN!!!! Oprah would be jealous. That is so insane! Talk about meant to be. Jordan was probably freaking out when you showed him that picture!!! That is so awesome. I am so happy for you! (Besides having to go to ER lol.)

    ReplyDelete